The Squirrel Collective

DSCF2055 (Copy)

It’s Christmas and a bit of belief goes a long way in making it feel magical, right? A few nights ago I really lost hope that this little sweater would be ready for Christmas Day but right now, 14 squirrels a-scampering around the yoke, I am starting to have a bit of belief.

I still have to figure what to do with the neckline. The pattern doesn’t call for short rows… but then it also has a roll neck which i plan to omit… but then I’ve never tried to figure short rows without a pattern. Ach, decisions, decisions and colour work sure does create a lot of ends to weave.

Mentally i have given away a lot of hand made, nice to do prettiness this Christmas. That’s the reality of mindfully mothering a 14 month old. I know I’ve got my priorities just right and a gorgeous Solstice tree and a hand knit jumper is a pretty good bit of prettiness in a sea of emptied cupboards, sleep deprivation and teething woes.

And what a year of knitting. I only started in July and this is my lucky 13th knit. I’ve found an incredible on line community of inspiring, talented and, above all, kind knitters. I believe next year I’ll meet more of you and enrich deeper some of these connections I have made. I believe I’ll knit up a storm, learn new skills, clothe my family in more handmade, woolly wonder. I believe it and therefore it must be true.

Thank you for being part of this place I find myself. I wish to you a truly beautiful Christmas and a year ahead filled with peace and happiness.

Joining Nicole and Ginny

21 thoughts on “The Squirrel Collective

1. Jeanette

that sweater is gorgeous! I cannot believe you have only been knitting since July…truly amazing and inspiring. I think a made with love sweater and a solstice tree are just perfect…Happy Holidays to you and yours

2. Evelyn

It looks wonderful. Figuring out short rows without a pattern shouldn’t be too hard, if you’ve used them on a neckline before then use that as basis and just tweak the numbers for your stitch count 🙂

1. Tania Post author

I did it Evelyn, I added some short rows. Hope it fits tomorrow morning – Christmas Day. I thought of your words and just went for it! Thank you for the nudge 🙂

1. Tania Post author

Hi Janel, I wish I had seen this before I followed the pattern…and had to unpick it! Actually it turned out too big but hey, live and learn! I have seen you have been knitting more beautiful Pilot Caps – it is totally your pattern! Happy Christmas

3. Lindsay

It’s absolutely adorable! Good luck deciding what to do with the neckline. You’re such a brave and intrepid knittier! I’ve been knitting since 2009 and only just made my first sweater this year!

1. Tania Post author

Lindsay, those are such lovely compliments, thank you. I bet you have a heap of lovely knits. I am looking forward to knitting some smaller projects (well, accessories, obviously baby knits are quite small! Definitely a bit nervous of an adult sweater!). Merry Christmas to you and yours

4. Kimberly Bee

Are you kidding? Only since July?! That’s amazing! And it gives me hope! Although, I think I start over at least thirteen times on every project I start, and there have been many, although so far I’ve only completed two. I get distracted easily :). Everything about the little squirrel sweater is so wonderful..I look forward to seeing what you decide on the neckline and your little cutie wearing it if you will share!

1. Tania Post author

You are so sweet and kind! Of course I will (over!!) share pictures. Can’t wait to see if it fits tomorrow – Christmas morn. I have just posted the finished pic on Instagram and am breathing a sigh of relief having had to rework the neck having finished it (for the first time!) last night. When I tried it on the wee man it was waaaaaay too big. I hope you are enjoying your knitting even if it is a bit frustrating sometimes. Don’t be disheartened with your knitting as I bet you are doing great. Merry Christmas!

5. Elise

That looks amazing – I can’t believe you made it after only knitting a few months! I’ve been knitting most of my life and only bothered with colourwork fairly recently. It’s such a cool effect though 🙂

1. Tania Post author

Aw, thanks Elise – so kind. I have loved doing colour work – it totally gave me back my knitting mojo after the hat that caused me ribbing grief! So much to perfect about it though – my weaving in is a bit shameful! Merry Christmas to you and yours

6. Jacki May

I love this sweater! We have a little girls who just loves squirrels and she would be insanely happy with this. I have never done any colorwork in my knitting so I may have to practice up.

1. Tania Post author

Oh Jacki you could so do this, it was my first ever colour work piece. I must update my project page as the small mods I made were really straightforward. Thanks for popping by.