The first stitches

IMAG0843 (1) (Copy)

Robin has been helping (re)arrange the props to show off my early progress on the Selkie shawl. I am fast thinking my studio assistant is my signature photography style.

I’m really enjoying this stage of the shawl. It’s the ultimate slow knitting, all garter stitch (I am the ultimate slow knitter, after all!). The analytical part of my brain couldn’t help wonder what proportion of this centre panel I have knit. A quick calculation and I have 40% complete. By my reckoning I might have completed this central part by next week’s post, not that I want to ruin the surprise of where I may be up to! I am not sure how many of you will rush back to see a bigger beige triangle!

I am loving being part of a KAL. Valerie, Michaela and I have a little Instagram group set up and we can share progress, questions and generally catch up as often as we like. I must admit I feel particularly blessed to be able to turn to them for advice. I think I may be the weakest link!

Thank you all for your lovely comments last week on the Owlet. I so appreciated them all. I can report that it has flown to it’s new home. The blocking had me on the edge of my seat – it grew then contracted. As it turns out I think the size will be good for Thali. It is in the mail and I reckon Helen will receive it tomorrow….actually this is the thing that has me on the edge of my seat. Please keep everything crossed for me that it fits (and she loves it).

Okay, indulge me with this one…! I shall post a ‘proper’ completed Owlet pic i.e none photo bombed, over on Instagram when Helen has received it.

IMAG0746 (Copy)

I am also looking into patterns and yarns for a very special baby knit. A dear, none knitting friend is having a baby in April, The baby will be in hospital for the first few weeks if not months of her life. I want to knit something useful and am aware a baby in intensive care may just be in a nappy. A mutual friend suggested cloths that could be held in the mother’s nursing top to get her scent that then could be left with the baby when they are apart. I have found a couple of small cloth patterns that I like but am wondering what the best yarn would be. I certainly want it to be natural but should it be wool or cotton or a blend? If any of you have experience of babies in intensive care please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Joining you all, along with Ginny and Nicole. Have a happy knitting week!

11 thoughts on “The first stitches

1. Sarah

Lovely knitting, I really enjoy simple knitting sometimes.
    As to the baby idea… I am struck with wondering if they let anything be with a baby in the nicu crib but truly have no idea. I bet you could call a nicu and ask if they have any suggestions too!If I was making cloths I’d probably look for something hypoallergenic- I’m wondering about bamboo or linen so it was very soft but natural fibers still. I love Plymouth yarns Bamtastic, it’s really soft and lovely!

2. Valerie

I for one will be delighted to see any number of photos of your garter/ pizza crust triangle! It’s lots of fun knitting it together. :) So happy to see the Owlet looks like it is perfect for Thali! And she looks absolutely delighted and adorable in it. You are amazing, Tania!

1. Tania Post author

You are so very kind with your sweet comments but I think I only stayed sane knitting the Owlet thanks to your knitter’s wisdom and coaxing me back off the ledge when I got into my right royal pickle over sizing! At least I know you will pop back next week to see if I have a thin or thick crusted pizza :-)

3. Jeanette

I can’t wait to see your finished selkie! Your owlet is so adorable on that sweet little girl! great job. I had a son in the NICU but I dont know what you could make. I’m not sure what they allow in. I agree with the comment about calling and asking. good luck :)

1. Tania Post author

Hi Jeanette, thank you for the lovely comments about Thali in her Owlet – she is such a sweetie isn’t she? I am still making steady Selkie progress. I shall pop across now and see how your Canopy is looking!

4. Sarah W.

Hi Tania,

I adore the natural color of that shawl. It’s a wonderful neutral and will be a perfect addition to your wardrobe.

I think your photo assistant deserves a promotion 😉

Regarding the baby knit, I would consider a soft organic cotton or perhaps a cotton and bamboo blend. I would even go so far as to see if it’s hypoallergenic. I have friends who knit for the NICU on a regular basis as part of a charity group and they always choose cotton or a cotton blend. Never synthetics or wool. I hope that helps you. Happy searching.

1. Tania Post author

Hmmm, promotion eh? I’ll give that some thought! Thank you so much for the yarn thoughts, that’s so helpful. Hope your babes are feeling heaps better x

5. Caroline

Love that little owl jumper!

I found a group on Instagram a little while ago that were loking for knitters to make squares that could be left with babies with their mamas scent. So it is allowed. I agree that cotton/bamboo is a good option. Lovely thing to do for your friend.

6. Ruby

What a sweet gift your are planning for your friend’s baby. I’m sure even if her particular NICU doesn’t allow what you make, she will be grateful & pleased anyway. I love receiving handknits! And baby knits are the best there is out there. Your prop assistant needs a resume–he’s wonderful! You could absolutely rent him out. 😉 xx